Nizhny Novgorod is located on the banks of the river Oka, in the place where it flows into the Volga. The city was founded in 1221 by Vladimir Prince Yuri Vsevolodovich and was a fortress called Novgorod.
A journey through his memorials begins with visiting the Annunciation Monastery, which is located on the banks of the river. Founded in the XIII century. The Annunciation Cathedral of 1649 was preserved there, and the one-headed St. Sergius Church was added to it in the 17th and 18th centuries. Annunciation Cathedral belongs to the type of six-storied temples, without having two western pillars.
All small drums, crocheted with helmets dipped to the central. After the fires the cathedral repeatedly repaired, which led to distortion of architecture. In the years 1870-72. During the restoration works, L. Dahl was able to provide the building with initial forms. Near the cathedral there is the Assumption Church, decorated with two decorative tents.
Then visit the museum-apartment AM Gorky, who was created on the initiative of the Russian public. The following people, such as: E.P. Peshkova is the wife of Gorky, N.A. Peshkova is the wife of M.Peshkov, the granddaughter of the writer, the daughter of F.I. Chaliapin
The exposition, based on the original material, reveals the last years of Gorky's Nizhniy Novgorod, became for him the period of flowering of literary and social activity. In this house there are 50 works of the great writer, translated into 16 languages of the world.
From the house-museum we will head to the Pechersk Ascension Monastery, which was founded in 1328 and located on the shores of the Volga. In 1640-50, the famous Nizhny Novgorod architect Antipost Vozoulin built an existing monastic ensemble, which includes the Ascension Cathedral with a gallery, the Tent Assumption Church, the tent bell tower, the tent church of Euphemia of Suzdal, the buildings of cells and prefectural rooms. The stone fence and the Temple of Protection of the Virgin were built a little later.
Next, the path lies on the Chkalovsky staircase, which is the main architectural masterpiece of Nizhny Novgorod. She has 560 degrees, and cascade of stairs is made in the form of huge rings. The name of the ladder was received in honor of the pilot-tester Valery Chkalov who carried out in 1937 the first non-stop flight in the world through the North Pole from Moscow to Vancouver. A monument to Chkalov was erected on the top of the stairs.
Another famous place to visit - Museum-apartment AD Sakharov It occupies the first floor of a dwelling house with twelve floors, which houses a Sakharov memorial plaque. The exposition of the museum consists of two parts: an exposition hall, which houses materials that reveal the life and activities of Sakharov, his ancestors, scientific and social activities. The memorial part is the exiled apartment, in which Sakharov spent seven years of life.
Visiting Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin will be remembered for a long time. It is located on a hill where Oka falls into the Volga. The first fortress in this place was erected from a tree in 1221. The construction of the Kremlin began in the 15th century. The Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin was inferior to Moscow.
It was built on the basis of an artillery system of defense and in 1505 could already give a cannon to repulse any enemy. In its construction involved Pskov and Italian architects.
The fortress consists of walls and quadrilateral towers. The Christmas church completes a trip to Nizhny Novgorod. It was built in 1719. Decorates the lush white stone carving with the image of pears and apples, grape branches