Overseas, where there are excellent tracks, I want to try some kind of car that is unlike your own home.
It's good that in the car rental you can always find cars for every taste and purse. Therefore, it is useful to know the categories of cars.
Very good and detailed car classes are described in English WikipediA.
Here, I'll give you some basic categories that are used by distributors.
It should be borne in mind that rendering companies may sometimes deviate from the generally accepted classification and their categorization will differ from each other and from the data provided in this article.
Below are all major categories of cars with a short description and typical representatives of their classes :-)
1. Mini / Economy - city car. Small, easy to manage, designed for urban areas. It has 4 seats, length about 3.4-3.6 meters. Relate to classes A and B.
Representatives of Class A - Daewoo Matiz, Renault Twingo, Toyota Aygo, VW Lupo. Class B - Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, Opel Corsa, Suzuki Swift.
2. Compact (or small family car) - more than mini but less or about the same as mid-size cars. The length of the hatchback - 4.1-4.45 m, 4.4 - 4.6 m - sedans, cabriolets and versatile cars. Typically, the engine volume is from 1.5 to 2.4 liters, diesel or gasoline. They belong to class C.
Representatives - Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Opel Astra, VW Golf, Opel Astra, Peugeot 307, Renault M? Gane, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza.
3. Mid-size cars - known in Europe as large family cars. Relate to class D.
Representatives - Ford Mondeo, Opel Vectra, Toyota Avensis, VW Passat.
4. Full-size car and Mid-size luxury car-cars, length 5,0-5,3 m. Refer to segment E.
Representatives - Ford Crown Victoria, Holden Commodore, Opel Omega, Chrysler 300C and Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Jaguar XF, Mercedes E-Class.
5. Luxury car - a marketing term that denotes a luxury car - with modern equipment, technological innovations, excellent looks, excellent comfort, exquisite design and other qualities that make it possible to understand prestige, brand, status, etc. This term can fit any means of transport - from minivan to crossover or sports car.
Typical representatives - Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Jaguar XF, Mercedes E-Class and Audi A8, Maserati Quattroporte, Jaguar XJ, Mercedes S-Class.
6. Sports car - mostly open speed cars with low landing, 2 doors, 2 seats, precision machining of parts, hard brakes and turbo acceleration.
Representatives - Chevrolet Corvette C6, Porsche 911.
7. SUV / 4WD or 4 x 4 - are cars of high pass - jeeps and off-road cars. They are characterized by constant full drive, large dimensions, high-tire tires and a very powerful engine.
Prestwaters - Ford Explorer, BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee, VW Touareg and Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Suburban, Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser.
8. Convertible - cars with a tipped top. The cars with a soft top are called cabriolet or cabrio, and 2-seat - roadster. With a rigid roof - a coup? cabriolet and, accordingly, 2-seater with a rigid roof - a coup? roadster / roadster coup ?.
Representatives - Mercedes CLK, Volvo C70, VW Eos.